Skip to main content

The Jewel by Amy Ewing

I'm sure that most of you have heard about how there was an amazing astronomical event that happened yesterday in Europe. I was so lucky to experience the solar eclipse. I'm just so sad now that I won't be able to see it again like it for the next 11 years.

 Also one of the annoying parts about it was that you couldn't look directly at it, otherwise you vision will become bad. The problem is, with such light intensity, you can't help but look at it. (I may have accidently done it!)But all is not lost; at least in November I will be able to experience a partial lunar eclipse. And I don't need any special eye wear for it, because it happens in the night time!

The word for this week that is the most unique is: Syzygy -- I chose this word to correspond with the events that have happened this week in Europe. This means that with having three letters being Y, it is meant to describe a rare astronomical event (which in this case would be the solar eclipse), which would involve three heavenly bodies. It is the alignment of three celestial bodies in a straight line, which could be the Earth, Sun and Moon.

22586252
As a huge reader, I was really excited about trying something new. Yes, I think that the cover itself may have influenced my overall decision. But not only that, I was deeply intrigued into the ethical dilemmas that go into a dystopian book. And I think this genre will interest me for some years on.

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Romance, Magic and Teen

Format: Hardback/Paperback

Year Of Publish: September 2nd 2014

Synopsis

'Today is my last day as Violet Lasting. Tomorrow I become lot 197.' This is all about a girl who is unable to lead her own life. Born to serve the royal family as a surrogate, she cannot escape from her fate from her mistress; the Lady of the Lake. A woman who is determined to have a daughter who will one day become the future Electress. Unfortunately, for Violet, she doesn't want to give birth to some else's child, let alone the Lady of the Lake's. So as she dives ever so deeper into the politics around the royals, she finds that it is severely dangerous and it is better to live as someone who is a peasant.
 

Criticisms

So first of all I think that the main concept of the book is very similar to 'A Handmaid's Tale', almost so that she may have copied it. I don't know if you would agree with me but I hate authors who steal another person's idea. Because first of all, they are not using something which is original; anyone would just be able to do that and also I don't agree with someone stealing someone else's work and getting thousands from it - it's wrong.
 
Also there is other things that I could pick on. Including the romance itself. This is because the love between Ash and Violet just comes out from no where. I just don't understand why the editor didn't pick up on it. Absolutely rubbish. Why can't they be fired? That is probably the worst text I have ever read in my life. Every time that I think of it, it makes it me cringe and become extremely mad!
 
No more talk! I have had enough.
 

Rating: *

(If that!)
 

Kiki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just the Two of Us (Book 1) by Ryu Hyang

  SYNOPSIS 'Soohyuk: a paediatric emergency medicine specialist. A man who never eats something someone else gives him.  Soohyuk, the tyrant who rules S University Hospital's paediatric emergency room. He only cares about treating sick children, whether or not that gets in the way of advancing his career. He, a grouch to everyone aside from the patients, suddenly starts noticing a woman: the woman who feeds him. Yuna: a chef who makes boxed lunches. A woman who panics and collapses whenever she meets a man, due to trauma from her past. Wanting to do what she likes rather than going off to college, Yuna opens up her own business that specialises in boxed lunches. A Tasty Meal. She gets scared when one day she sees the tall Soohyuk standing outside her restaurant, but she soon learns he is only drawn to the delicious smell. And, somehow, she comes to be in charge of his everyday meals. When Soohyuk meets Yuna, a confident, surefooted woman who gets startled and scared when he co...

An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth: Life Lessons From Space by Chris Hadfield

I usually hate non-fiction so very much. I tend to find it utterly boring as well as depressing. But with this book it is completely different. It stands on it's own two feet by being irregular and unique in my eyes. It's inspirational. He's a role model to anyone who has met him, read him or seen him on YouTube singing 'Space Oddity'.   Here is the YouTube that he recorded on the ISS of Space Oddity if you haven't already seen it. But seriously who hasn't? Anyway if you have seen it, why not see it again? It is really good. Anyway, the book itself, is a very good example with motivating people to aspire to what they really want to do. Rather than just simply dreaming of their dream, he is saying to put those words into actions and finally into reality. But not only that, if you don't exactly get to the place as to which you really want to strive to be, that's ok. It doesn't mean that you are a failure. No one is a true failure, unless you ...

The Snow Song by Sally Gardner

Synopsis : 'Women imprisoned by superstition, chained by guilt. Perched on a mountain in a land of ancient forests is a village, rife with secrets. Cut off from the outside world it is run by the elders, men to whom tradition is all. Edith lives alone with her alcoholic father who is forcing her to marry the village butcher. But she is in love with a shepherd who promised to return to her. As the village becomes isolated in a sea of snow, Edith loses her power of speech. And it is this enchantment that will have far-reaching consequences, not only for Edith but for the whole village.'

Frankie and the Gift of Fantasy by Ruthy Ballard

I have always been captivated by the thought that there could be something beyond this world, yet connected by our very own. 'Frankie and the Gift of Fantasy' is set in the age range of being a children's book which is meant to help children think, evaluate and learn, not only about what is beyond our own world, but what happens on Earth today.  Frankie can be considered somewhat of a dreamer like any normal kid with some amount of creativity should be. The only problem is that when he needs to be practical according to his parents, his mind is instead, is up in the clouds. But this is not necessarily a bad thing, not when he is transported through a crack in the wall to a place called 'Urth'. The writing can be seen as very colloquial, to the point that it feels as though not only are they omniscient of Frankie and the events that will take place, but it feels like they are reeling the events to only the reader. Almost like they are talking about the story in the s...

Blog Tour: The Ghost of Villa Winter by Isobel Blackthorn

  SYNOPSIS English psychic Clarissa Wilkinson is holidaying in the Canary Islands. Hoping to have an adventure, she boards a tour bus bound for Villa Winter, a secret Nazi base on the idyllic island of Fuerteventura. Instead, she discovers a body in a chest and finds herself teamed up with hapless crime writer Richard Parry. What unfolds is an edge of seat mystery brimming with intrigue, as they try to unravel the clues together, and find the killer. Setting rich with a colourful cast of characters, The Ghost of Villa Winter is a delightfully gripping read with plenty of twists and turns that will appeal to all good mystery lovers.