Skip to main content

Thoughts of a Bookworm #5: Goodreads Choice Award is Fake


 Hello!

So, I know that it has been some time since I was last writing to you all. But I saw an email the other day and it really got me that I couldn’t not share my thoughts on it. 

As we all know it’s that time of year again. The fairy lights are beginning to twinkle, the days and nights are getting darker and colder and we are all starting to look ahead to the next year. But what comes before next year? Well, the Goodreads Book Choice Awards of course. One of the biggest events in a bookworm’s calendar.

But personally, I think the whole thing is an insult to the whole book community. Obviously, when I was younger I didn’t think any different to most bookworms. However, I have come to realise that it isn’t necessarily what is the best book of the year but rather a popularity contest. More so now than ever with the insurgence of ‘BookTok’.

Honestly, I don’t think we will ever get a book worthy of the title ever again. It has become a pure vanity project. Take me back to the Tweenies or Noughties where we actually had books worthy of its name.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some good books that have been nominated this year. But let’s all be honest with ourselves, we all know who are going to win because people are now being drawn to read the same texts just because it might be ‘spicy’.

I know this is not the case with all readers but maybe Goodreads should make a category for Booktok books so there isn’t a monopoly in other categories where other books deserve to win.

Just food for thought. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's not to be perfect?

Happy New Year! Like as I have said last week, we are going into something a bit more depressing. To start off this post I have decided that before I do go into specific details, I thought it would be a good idea to look at New Years resolutions. What is yours? I know for a fact what mine will be. It would have to be about how I always leave work until I have to do it. So this coming year my method for to stop making this habit would be to maybe make the habit of doing it earlier than what I once did. Just remember guys, never make a New Years resolution if you can't keep at it. Otherwise what is the point of actually making one? Anyway the book I am going to be focusing on this Tuesday, would be a book called The Perfectionists. It is about how five girls devise a plan against this boy called Nolan Hotchkiss and of course there will be a murder, betrayal and a bit of poison.   I have to be completely honest about how i felt about the whole plot, before going onto other re

Blogs v Vlogs

Did you know that 'Girl Online' is the biggest debut seller of all time? With books sold over 78,000 copies in its first week. Even more than JK Rowling, Dan Brown or Stephanie Meyer! But it doesn't necessarily mean that it was a good book. It was just that the author who seemed to be placed on the cover, is already a star in her own right. But that is not a bad thing. In some places i could feel that she was trying to get out her own personal experiences of the internet and how cruel it can be. Like for instance with haters and how no one really knows her but decides to make assumptions of her private life. But i could also feel like a lot of cliche happenings going on. Sometimes i don't know why i bother! Sometimes having this can help with the progression with the plot line, but i do wish that one day some YA author will be original and give it a bit more of a twist - rather than the obvious. When going on Goodreads and looking at their reviews some say t