Skip to main content

History of a Drowning Boy by Dennis Nilsen

 


SYNOPSIS

Dennis Nilsen was one of Britain's most notorious serial killers, jailed for life in 1983 after the murders of 12 men and the attempted murders of many more.

Seven years after his conviction, Nilsen began to write his autobiography and over a period of 18 years he typed 6,000 pages of introspection, reflection, comment and explanation.

History of a Drowning Boy - taken exclusively from these astonishing writings - uncovers, for the first time the motives behind the murders, and delivers a clear understanding of how such horrific events could have happened, tracing the origins back to early childhood. In another first, it provides an insight into his 35 years inside the maximum-security prison system including his everyday life on the wings; his interactions with the authorities and other notorious prisoners; and his artistic endeavours of music, writing and drama. It also reveals the truth behind many of the myths surrounding Dennis Nilsen, as reported in the media.

Nilsen was determined to have his memoir published but to his frustration, the Home Office blocked publication during his lifetime. He died in 2018, entrusting the manuscript to his closest friend and it is now being published with the latter's permission.

Any autobiography present the writer's story from just one perspective - his own, and as such this record should be treated with some caution. An excellent foreword by criminologist Dr Mark Pettigrew offers some context to Nilsen's words, and this important work provides an extraordinary journey through the life of a remarkable and inadequate man.

REVIEW

I have found that there are not many words to describe the detail that makes me feel when thinking of this book. There have been times when I felt some form of sympathy towards Nilsen, however it is not long before I also have feelings of dread, nausea and just that sense of uneasiness. 

Before turning my eyes to the first page, I had absolutely no knowledge about Nilsen and his story. I wasn't one to watch the ITV drama and haven't got much of a fascination towards crime documentaries. In fact, due to how some people I used to know watched these documentaries as some sort of religion, I have tended to make it my mission to avoid these types of films. However, I think that in some ways this has given me a clean slate to work on, so that there was no previous judgements as to what I was going to read. Sometimes this was good and sometimes it seemed like my naivety struck me down like a fly.

First of all, I would like to put a disclaimer out there who are generally struck down by queasiness very easily, this is not a book for the faint-hearted. There are some themes that are extremely disturbing that even I had to put it down more than one time. On the contrary, even though there are explicit details not only about his early life to the time when he made his first kill, I found that the second half was more interesting than the first, due to his wide details about his incarceration. 

What I found most interesting was the prison system that he was under and how this changed as time progressed. How the press had replaced that form of entertainment that onlookers once had for the death penalty, was glorified through the pages of the newspaper, with Nilsen's comments about how the facts that were brought to attention, did not always have truth to them. This is a fascinating point about how we are consuming the news and even now, it seems, there may be more fiction than fact in order to bring about entertainment to the masses.

However, the thing that shocked me the most was how at home he was in the prison system. How he still knew about events happening in the world and how he was reading the news and watching the tv like the rest of us. It really brings about some questions about how our justice system works and how this compares to other countries in terms of what they want to do to their prisoners.

I feel like this piece is not going to stray from my mind anytime soon, the good and the bad and maybe has made me re-evaluate society in terms of how it works and my own place in it.

RATING: *** (THREE STARS)

 BUY LINKS



Disclosure: If you buy books linked to this site, we may earn a commission from Bookshop.org, whose fees support independent bookshops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

This has been a long time in the making, but here it is. A court of Mist and Fury. I think that there is now the time to definitely say something about this, especially when the next book has already come out in the series. I genuinely do love this book. I think that it is much better than the first one in the series. This is mainly because of that in which the new characters are far more likeable, and those who we had been introduced to previously have been developed. For example, with Rhysand, I have found to be far more complicated than what had already been shown in the first book. In fact, I don't think that the first book did any justice for him. In any sort of perspective. However, it has also identified that Tamlin is not all that he seems, very annoying more than anything. I think however, that it is more due to the fact of that in which it feels like it was a waste to have a whole book with him in, now that the story has developed. In this next instalment, it carr

Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

It is back to Amanda Hocking this week, with her new book that I have recently been talking about, when reviewing her other series, the Trylle Trilogy. Although, this book is now in a new series, but set in the same universe. It is called the Kanin Chronicles... I must admit, when actually owning the book, the cover is very enchanting and beautiful. How for instance, the main character and protagonist, Bryn Aven, is at the centre of attention, with her coat covered in red. Whereas in the background, it is very muted colours, with the whites and blacks, but also having a sort of wonderland type of presence. Red to me also makes me feel quite uncomfortable and moreover is a colour for danger. So, onto the criticisms then! First of all, I don't know why but I felt a little bit out of place with this new world. Maybe it is because I read the other series in the same universe, I may have gotten used to them far too much. So when there are old characters appearing and being ment

The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson

Publisher: David Fickling Books Date of Publish: January 1st 2015 Suitable for which gender: Unisex The book consists of two protagonists who are both suffering from two big secrets. There is David Piper; who wants to be a girl and Leo Denton; someone who just wants to be invisible. Somehow both of these two individuals come together and become very good friends in the process. It is really interesting as there is not much regarding the subject of the transgender community in modern YA fiction, in a way Ms Williamson has got some guts to base story around this topic. Not because it is wrong, but rather misunderstood. It has heartache and pain, as well as joy and happiness, which not only they experience, but you as well. I think that the time that it has come out is perfect, as it is an ever changing world, which has shown to become more aware of people around us and accepting everyone for who they are. We must always think about these issues like, imagine if you felt