Skip to main content

A Winning Betrayal by Louise Guy

 


SYNOPSIS

When an unexpected windfall brings together strangers Shauna and Frankie, one woman is popping champagne corks - but the other just wants to cry.

For her part, Shauna is pouring celebratory drinks. Since her heart was broken and her dreams shattered, she's been ready for a fresh start. Surely she deserves some good luck at last?

But Frankie knows what can happen to families when money moves in and is allowed to take over. Fearing she'll lose the contented - if cash-strapped- life she has built with her husband and their two daughters, she wants to be in control this time.

But as money rewrites their life stories and truths emerge among the treasure, both are forced to wonder if their good fortunes is just bad luck in disguise...

REVIEW

The Lottery is a fantastic idea for so many, and there are so many out there who have daydreams about winning it and what they would spend it on. But what is the reality behind all of it? Is it really a blessing or a curse? For both characters, Shauna and Frankie their big wins are life-changing, but this doesn't negate the fact that some things don't always appear as it seems. Even though they no longer have the stress of worrying about day-to-day expenses, not everything is stress-free. Rather, it has added more stresses of various quantities to the pot.

Compared to other books that I have read in the past, this is simply one which is able to delve a little bit into a fantasy that most of us would never get, in the most easy and light-weighted writing possible. However, I have found that in some ways, this comes at a price. From the beginning of the story, the foreshadowing was very strong, too strong. In fact, if I was able to pinpoint what might happen before I read it, I think that it would have been eerily similar to what actually did happen. But in my opinion, it seems like nothing can really trump the ending. How quickly it seemed on a timescale from going from point A to point B. Plus, why choose an ending like that? I don't know, it kind of felt a little forced and maybe overdone.

However, this does not mean that everything was completely alike to what I thought would happen. There was one particular twist that I did not see coming at all and I was very glad of it, because I do believe that it gave one of the characters a lot more heart. It was nice to see an expansion of what good winning money could do to your overall happiness, rather than just the security of not worrying about bills anymore.

Even though I thought that there were some disadvantages to this book, or certain topics that I feel were glossed over, which should have been more of a conversation, I did enjoy it. I actually put all my other TBR reads to the side just to finish it. If that is not a testament to Guy's writing, then I don't know what is.

RATING: ***1/2 (THREE AND A HALF STARS)

BUY LINKS

Amazon: A Winning Betrayal eBook: Guy, Louise: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Bookshop.org: https://uk.bookshop.org/a/3917/9781542016018

Disclosure: If you buy books linked to this site, we may earn a commission from Bookshop.org, whose fees support independent bookshops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just the Two of Us (Book 1) by Ryu Hyang

  SYNOPSIS 'Soohyuk: a paediatric emergency medicine specialist. A man who never eats something someone else gives him.  Soohyuk, the tyrant who rules S University Hospital's paediatric emergency room. He only cares about treating sick children, whether or not that gets in the way of advancing his career. He, a grouch to everyone aside from the patients, suddenly starts noticing a woman: the woman who feeds him. Yuna: a chef who makes boxed lunches. A woman who panics and collapses whenever she meets a man, due to trauma from her past. Wanting to do what she likes rather than going off to college, Yuna opens up her own business that specialises in boxed lunches. A Tasty Meal. She gets scared when one day she sees the tall Soohyuk standing outside her restaurant, but she soon learns he is only drawn to the delicious smell. And, somehow, she comes to be in charge of his everyday meals. When Soohyuk meets Yuna, a confident, surefooted woman who gets startled and scared when he co...

An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth: Life Lessons From Space by Chris Hadfield

I usually hate non-fiction so very much. I tend to find it utterly boring as well as depressing. But with this book it is completely different. It stands on it's own two feet by being irregular and unique in my eyes. It's inspirational. He's a role model to anyone who has met him, read him or seen him on YouTube singing 'Space Oddity'.   Here is the YouTube that he recorded on the ISS of Space Oddity if you haven't already seen it. But seriously who hasn't? Anyway if you have seen it, why not see it again? It is really good. Anyway, the book itself, is a very good example with motivating people to aspire to what they really want to do. Rather than just simply dreaming of their dream, he is saying to put those words into actions and finally into reality. But not only that, if you don't exactly get to the place as to which you really want to strive to be, that's ok. It doesn't mean that you are a failure. No one is a true failure, unless you ...

Archibald Lox and the Bridge Between Worlds by Darren Shan

It's been a while since Darren Shan has written a children's book. Focusing more on his adult audience these last few years it seemed like this was the avenue he would have stayed in. However, I'm glad he made the transition back. I can't believe how much I have missed him doing a children's book until now. Covid-19 is at least good for one thing. I get to start on a new series that I can't wait to read. This first book in the serial seems different from previous children's books that he has written in the past. Almost mysterious and part of a realm that is more metaphysical rather than anything. Yet still enchanting in a way that makes look at the world in a new-found way In some ways it kind of reminds me of Plato's cave in the sense that there is something more to reality than what most people let on. Something that can be seen to be incomprehensible to the person that has not experienced The Merge and will never understand the importance of it. Once ...

Blog Tour: The Ghost of Villa Winter by Isobel Blackthorn

  SYNOPSIS English psychic Clarissa Wilkinson is holidaying in the Canary Islands. Hoping to have an adventure, she boards a tour bus bound for Villa Winter, a secret Nazi base on the idyllic island of Fuerteventura. Instead, she discovers a body in a chest and finds herself teamed up with hapless crime writer Richard Parry. What unfolds is an edge of seat mystery brimming with intrigue, as they try to unravel the clues together, and find the killer. Setting rich with a colourful cast of characters, The Ghost of Villa Winter is a delightfully gripping read with plenty of twists and turns that will appeal to all good mystery lovers.

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

What can we truly know of the universe? Is the universe simply beyond our comprehension or are we just too ignorant to see what is actually in front of us? What if there is life beyond Earth? What if we can discover it for ourselves? What if, our curiosity gets the better of us all? This book seems to pose many questions to what knowledge we already possess yet, are we looking at life in the right way and how we come to use the environment of Earth around us. It takes us through the story of the human race and how we have expanded our skills and knowledge to become a race which is both rational and intelligent enough to discover the final frontier, space. But what comes after all of this? This is just as an important question as the one in which we ask of how we all got here in the first place. The great thing about this book is that I feel like if you read it before watching the film, you would probably have a better appreciation for Kubrick's vision. In fact, it could be believed...