Skip to main content

The Bro Code by Elizabeth A. Seibert



For a while now it seems normal to have a book which relates itself to the teenager. Mainly, relating to school and sometimes the pitfalls of romantic interests. It's one of those genres that has fluctuated the market with the likes of Twilight all the way to Percy Jackson and back to others such as Eleanor and Park. It seems like a formula that works on so many levels, yet there is no indication that this trend will die anytime soon.

Seibert sets her characters out with the idea of there being a 'Bro Code' between a clique of guys known as 'Bros'. I know, very original right? This follows the many rules that the 'Bros' must abide by in order to stay within the clan, but also be a part of their way of life with their friends. However, one of the rules (which is also the one which seems to stick out the most, as well as being the main device to move the plot) is to not date another Bro's relative, especially if it is their sister. Well, we can see how this is going to pan out don't we?

This is where both Nick Maguire and Eliza O' Connor steps into the mix. Maguire, obviously a part of the 'Bro' pack has an unrequited love for his best friend's sister who has recently returned from Australia.

Typically, it is understood that these sort of tropes seem to make sure the reader want for these two people to win the day and still keep the relationships that mean so much to them. It just didn't feel very realistic. Firstly, Maguire just seemed a little off. I'm not sure whether it was his point of view or something that just didn't make him feel like he was actually a real being. I'm not sure whether this was researched enough. It's alright having a male character as the lead but I feel like he was presented in the wrong way in terms of what the plot wanted.

Eliza on the other hand, well, where should I start? Where is she? She seemed a little vacant for my liking. What makes Maguire like her so much? Because I know for one thing she had no personality. There was not much character development, except to say that she came back from Australia. It's only when things start heating up between herself and Maguire that we really see a bit more of her and how her character operates. Almost like she needs Maguire in order to spark her into life like some sort of robot.

What was up with this code each time there was a chapter? It really annoyed me. I know it was the signify certain points within a chapter, but it didn't make it any less annoying. I would have been happy without it to be honest. I felt like it was a little irrelevant. Just like some of the plotlines and the characters in it. There were missed opportunities to really make the story gripping, but instead it felt like Seibert decided to take the easy road. But at least it was entertaining for some right? Pfft. 

Disappointing. Lacklustre. Hours of my life wasted. Just a solid no from me. One star.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunburn by Darren Dash

This is the cover of the recently published book "Sunburn" by Darren Dash (yes, it actually does feature a character getting burnt), which was published earlier than expected on the 1st May. This truly seems like a momentous event. This author has probably influenced my reading patterns the most, since I first picked up a book just for leisure. He is truly an inspirational guy. The cover itself is very sinister. The mix of reds and oranges as well as the sun connotes that the sun plays an antagonising role in the story. Maybe even a factor to all of the characters downfall. The simplicity makes it very intriguing as well as making it feel very uncomforting. Simple but well executed. This demonic masterpiece does not fail to disappoint even the most biggest of horror fans. Set in a perfect setting, the characters are strong, that even the smallest mistake they make can be very vexing. It focuses on three characters: Dominic; Curran and Martini. Who despite

June TBR

As it is the first of the month, I realised that I haven't actually given you any updates on the latest and greatest new books that I have recently bought. And trust me there is quite a few! I'll give you the Sun by Jandy Nelson:   I love the colour of the book jacket. When first discovering this treasure I was probably more interested in how all of the pages have been spray-painted in my favourite colour, yellow. But when looking at the blurb on the reverse, I became very intrigued. As by many people, I prefer a blurb that tells me quite a bit about what is the story, although, with this book it is very vague and is summed up in as few as two to three sentences. The mystery of what might happen is very exciting!     The Heir by Kiera Cass:                                                  This book I guess is very special to this blog. Not only is it the fourth chapter in the selection series, that from many fans, never thought they would be able to see

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

This has been a long time in the making, but here it is. A court of Mist and Fury. I think that there is now the time to definitely say something about this, especially when the next book has already come out in the series. I genuinely do love this book. I think that it is much better than the first one in the series. This is mainly because of that in which the new characters are far more likeable, and those who we had been introduced to previously have been developed. For example, with Rhysand, I have found to be far more complicated than what had already been shown in the first book. In fact, I don't think that the first book did any justice for him. In any sort of perspective. However, it has also identified that Tamlin is not all that he seems, very annoying more than anything. I think however, that it is more due to the fact of that in which it feels like it was a waste to have a whole book with him in, now that the story has developed. In this next instalment, it carr