Skip to main content

My Favourite Books... So Far


I have only really been reading seriously since I was thirteen years old, but I sure have found some books which I believe have really entertained and changed my perspective of life. Here are a few that I have rounded up that might be of interest to you.

1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl


Yes, this is pretty much a staple in any young reader's bookshelf, but not for me it wasn't. I didn't get to read this treasure until I was nineteen and I was so annoyed that I left it so long. Seriously, who doesn't love the idea of winning a golden ticket to a chocolate factory? It's the perfect little read for any age. Don't get me started on the writing! Oh, I could talk all day about it. It's simply perfection.

2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


I know I'm basic. This is already such a popular book already, but I just couldn't resist. This book personally came at the right time for me. I read it just as I was going round and researching universities to go to myself. The book only helped me reinforce the dream that I have now achieved. It's also an awesome book to read in general. Plus, how could we not forget the Simon Snow spin-off books?

3. It Only Happens In the Movies by Holly Bourne


I only got round to reading this book this year and I was completely enraptured in the story. It's a great story which not only focusses on some of the elements that make rom-coms so cliché, but also family dramas that you can't help but root for the main character. It's also feminist in some regards, but not so that it is in your face. I'm just sad that I can't read it again for the first time.

4. Wickham Hall by Cathy Bramley


Okay. Okay. No need to shout. I've done it again. I've snuck in Cathy Bramley. But truly this is my favourite book from her catalogue. It got that element of romance but also community and the historical element of working at a stately home such as this. In some ways it kind of reminded me of a place in Derbyshire called Chatsworth House. So anything that resembles Pride and Prejudice is good enough for me.

5. Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston


Red, White and Royal Blue can be summed up as being a masterpiece in my books. Sorry for the pun. Even though there are elements that are not factually correct I don't actually care that much, as the story seems to carry it through. It just annoys me how could anyone have not thought as such a brilliant book before. I've had to wait twenty-two years for this great story to be planted in my hands. It kind of makes me think of how did I live before that moment? Well, obviously I didn't.

6. With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo


This book is like poetry and a Michelin starred meal all in one go. There is simply no way to describe the journey of this book, it is almost like it pops in your mouth like a firecracker. There are some hard-hitting themes such as teen pregnancy, but you still want to root for the main character through her determination to make something of herself, as well as look after a young child. If you want to read at least one book this year, make sure that it is this one.

7. The Humans by Matt Haig


I loved the perspective that the main character has, being that it is an alien from another planet disguised as a human. If you don't like those sci-fi elements that includes alien worlds then this one is for you. As the more that you progress throughout this book the character thinks critically what it means to live and how to fit in. I also love this book, like many others that Matt Haig has written is the philosophical element in it. He really knows his philosophical theories which makes my heart sing.

8. Moon Dog by Jane Elson


Even though I have only read this book very recently within the last month it has really made an impact. How I feel about it goes beyond words. In fact, my family have now started to make jokes about how much I talk about this book and how I wish I read it when I was a kid. Even though the plotline is simple, there are tough themes and wonderful characters which you want for them to come out ok.

9. Me Mam. Me Dad. Me. by Malcolm Duffy


When I discovered that there was a book which was upfront about some of the darker aspects of life, yet still had the dialect of a Geordie accent how could I pass up? The word choices were simply perfect and so real that it felt like all the characters were living off the page. I'm glad that I had the time to read this, as I feel everyone should read about domestic abuse and how to get help, even if it is just fiction.

10. The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang


I found that this book is slightly different in terms of how the main character can be seen to react to certain situations. It is nice that for once Autism Spectrum Disorder is represented. I really felt connected to this character that I don't think I have really connected with any other before. When she cried, I cried. When she laughed, I laughed along with her. It's a book which at the end simply made me feel happy.

What is your favourite book? Did you enjoy some of the books in this list too? Let me know in the comments.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

What can we truly know of the universe? Is the universe simply beyond our comprehension or are we just too ignorant to see what is actually in front of us? What if there is life beyond Earth? What if we can discover it for ourselves? What if, our curiosity gets the better of us all? This book seems to pose many questions to what knowledge we already possess yet, are we looking at life in the right way and how we come to use the environment of Earth around us. It takes us through the story of the human race and how we have expanded our skills and knowledge to become a race which is both rational and intelligent enough to discover the final frontier, space. But what comes after all of this? This is just as an important question as the one in which we ask of how we all got here in the first place. The great thing about this book is that I feel like if you read it before watching the film, you would probably have a better appreciation for Kubrick's vision. In fact, it could be believed...

Archibald Lox and the Bridge Between Worlds by Darren Shan

It's been a while since Darren Shan has written a children's book. Focusing more on his adult audience these last few years it seemed like this was the avenue he would have stayed in. However, I'm glad he made the transition back. I can't believe how much I have missed him doing a children's book until now. Covid-19 is at least good for one thing. I get to start on a new series that I can't wait to read. This first book in the serial seems different from previous children's books that he has written in the past. Almost mysterious and part of a realm that is more metaphysical rather than anything. Yet still enchanting in a way that makes look at the world in a new-found way In some ways it kind of reminds me of Plato's cave in the sense that there is something more to reality than what most people let on. Something that can be seen to be incomprehensible to the person that has not experienced The Merge and will never understand the importance of it. Once ...

A Wedding in the Country by Katie Fforde

  SYNOPSIS Lizzie has just arrived in London, determined to make the best of her new life. Her mother may be keen that she should have a nice wedding in the country to a Suitable Man chosen by her. And Lizzie may be going to cookery school to help her become a Good Wife. But she definitely wants to have some fun first. It is 1963 and London is beginning to swing as Lizzie cuts her hair, buys a new dress with a fashionably short hemline, and moves in with two of her best friends, one of whom lives in a grand but rundown house in Belgravia which has plenty of room for a lodger. Soon Lizzie's life is so exciting that she has forgotten all about her mother's marriage plans for her. All she can think about is that the young man she is falling in love with appears to be engaged to someone else...

Blog Tour: The Lore of Prometheus by Graham Austin-King

  SYNOPSIS John Carver has three rules: Don't drink in the daytime, don't gamble when the luck has gone, and don't talk to the dead people who come to visit. It has been almost five years since the incident in Kabul. Since the magic stirred within him and the stories began. Fleeing the army, running from the whispers, the guilt, and the fear he was losing his mind, Carver fell into addiction, dragging himself through life one day at a time. Desperation has pulled him back to Afganistan, back to the heat, the dust, and the truth he worked so hard to avoid. But there are others, obsessed with power and forbidden magics, who will stop at nothing to learn the truth of his gifts. Abducted and chained, Carver must break more than his own rules if he is to harness this power and survive.

Blog Tour: The Ghost of Villa Winter by Isobel Blackthorn

  SYNOPSIS English psychic Clarissa Wilkinson is holidaying in the Canary Islands. Hoping to have an adventure, she boards a tour bus bound for Villa Winter, a secret Nazi base on the idyllic island of Fuerteventura. Instead, she discovers a body in a chest and finds herself teamed up with hapless crime writer Richard Parry. What unfolds is an edge of seat mystery brimming with intrigue, as they try to unravel the clues together, and find the killer. Setting rich with a colourful cast of characters, The Ghost of Villa Winter is a delightfully gripping read with plenty of twists and turns that will appeal to all good mystery lovers.