Skip to main content

Lucky by Kris Bryant



Lucky is a book based on the story of two women, Serena and Gabrielle. Serena is a woman who has grown up in not the most ideal circumstances. Grown up in poverty and never knowing what stupid thing her mother would do next, made her feel responsible for her sister, Faith. Her life as it seems looks as though she is down and out but always caring and being reliable for others, but never getting to do what she truly wants. On the other hand, Gabrielle could be seen to have a better family life compared to Serena. Gabrielle is ruthless and knows what she wants out of life and she isn't afraid to get it, especially with her work, being in the architect business.

When I first read the description of this book, I was definitely intrigued by the concept. A LGBT relationship set in the background of a woman who wins the lottery and using it to make a doggie day-care. Seems perfect right? I really wished it was. In reality it is a very stereotypical relationship which makes me sad. The usual tropes were used and it makes me sad to think that the author shot themselves in the knee trying far too hard to make this a good story. It felt as though the description of the story got me to the door, but once I was welcomed inside the home I was ready to leave.

Was I attached to the characters? Not particularly. But I did admire some of their characteristics. For instance, with Serena's kindness and humility and Gabrielle's tenacity to get what she wants and to not suffer from fools. However, out of all of this, it felt as though the conflict was far too easy to resolve or not highlighted with enough detail to really make it interesting and full of drama. In a way, it is kind of like beans on toast rather than a Sunday roast with all the trimmings. Its good and satisfactory, but it can be way better with a slight change in the recipe choices.

I really did wish that this could have been a good book. Don't get me wrong, it was entertaining for the few hours that I was able to read it. But will I pick this book up again in the future? Probably not very likely. I've given this a three star as there were some promising aspects which were used, but I felt that it could have been utilised more. Then again, I think that I have a problem with seeing some proper drama, which unfortunately this book in question did not fulfil. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

What can we truly know of the universe? Is the universe simply beyond our comprehension or are we just too ignorant to see what is actually in front of us? What if there is life beyond Earth? What if we can discover it for ourselves? What if, our curiosity gets the better of us all? This book seems to pose many questions to what knowledge we already possess yet, are we looking at life in the right way and how we come to use the environment of Earth around us. It takes us through the story of the human race and how we have expanded our skills and knowledge to become a race which is both rational and intelligent enough to discover the final frontier, space. But what comes after all of this? This is just as an important question as the one in which we ask of how we all got here in the first place. The great thing about this book is that I feel like if you read it before watching the film, you would probably have a better appreciation for Kubrick's vision. In fact, it could be believed...

Archibald Lox and the Bridge Between Worlds by Darren Shan

It's been a while since Darren Shan has written a children's book. Focusing more on his adult audience these last few years it seemed like this was the avenue he would have stayed in. However, I'm glad he made the transition back. I can't believe how much I have missed him doing a children's book until now. Covid-19 is at least good for one thing. I get to start on a new series that I can't wait to read. This first book in the serial seems different from previous children's books that he has written in the past. Almost mysterious and part of a realm that is more metaphysical rather than anything. Yet still enchanting in a way that makes look at the world in a new-found way In some ways it kind of reminds me of Plato's cave in the sense that there is something more to reality than what most people let on. Something that can be seen to be incomprehensible to the person that has not experienced The Merge and will never understand the importance of it. Once ...

A Wedding in the Country by Katie Fforde

  SYNOPSIS Lizzie has just arrived in London, determined to make the best of her new life. Her mother may be keen that she should have a nice wedding in the country to a Suitable Man chosen by her. And Lizzie may be going to cookery school to help her become a Good Wife. But she definitely wants to have some fun first. It is 1963 and London is beginning to swing as Lizzie cuts her hair, buys a new dress with a fashionably short hemline, and moves in with two of her best friends, one of whom lives in a grand but rundown house in Belgravia which has plenty of room for a lodger. Soon Lizzie's life is so exciting that she has forgotten all about her mother's marriage plans for her. All she can think about is that the young man she is falling in love with appears to be engaged to someone else...

Blog Tour: The Lore of Prometheus by Graham Austin-King

  SYNOPSIS John Carver has three rules: Don't drink in the daytime, don't gamble when the luck has gone, and don't talk to the dead people who come to visit. It has been almost five years since the incident in Kabul. Since the magic stirred within him and the stories began. Fleeing the army, running from the whispers, the guilt, and the fear he was losing his mind, Carver fell into addiction, dragging himself through life one day at a time. Desperation has pulled him back to Afganistan, back to the heat, the dust, and the truth he worked so hard to avoid. But there are others, obsessed with power and forbidden magics, who will stop at nothing to learn the truth of his gifts. Abducted and chained, Carver must break more than his own rules if he is to harness this power and survive.

Blog Tour: The Ghost of Villa Winter by Isobel Blackthorn

  SYNOPSIS English psychic Clarissa Wilkinson is holidaying in the Canary Islands. Hoping to have an adventure, she boards a tour bus bound for Villa Winter, a secret Nazi base on the idyllic island of Fuerteventura. Instead, she discovers a body in a chest and finds herself teamed up with hapless crime writer Richard Parry. What unfolds is an edge of seat mystery brimming with intrigue, as they try to unravel the clues together, and find the killer. Setting rich with a colourful cast of characters, The Ghost of Villa Winter is a delightfully gripping read with plenty of twists and turns that will appeal to all good mystery lovers.