Skip to main content

Frankie and the Gift of Fantasy by Ruthy Ballard



I have always been captivated by the thought that there could be something beyond this world, yet connected by our very own.

'Frankie and the Gift of Fantasy' is set in the age range of being a children's book which is meant to help children think, evaluate and learn, not only about what is beyond our own world, but what happens on Earth today. 

Frankie can be considered somewhat of a dreamer like any normal kid with some amount of creativity should be. The only problem is that when he needs to be practical according to his parents, his mind is instead, is up in the clouds. But this is not necessarily a bad thing, not when he is transported through a crack in the wall to a place called 'Urth'.

The writing can be seen as very colloquial, to the point that it feels as though not only are they omniscient of Frankie and the events that will take place, but it feels like they are reeling the events to only the reader. Almost like they are talking about the story in the same room as the reader, while having a tea and biscuit to share, but still asking for involvement in the conversation.

There are also moments where they encourage science and knowledge, by highlighting how some natural occurrences that may be happening in Urth can be put into practice when discussing how the Earth works. For instance, this could be from climate change to how an ocean tide would come in, dependent on the moon. These pieces of information can be seen as being very useful to the younger reader who may not have seen these terms before and would then allow to more questions as to why these things happen in our own world. 

However, there were a few annoyances on my part. The returning phrases such as 'Yup Yup!' and 'Am I right, or am I right?' this vexed me so much and takes you away from the story a little bit. I also felt that it was a little hard to read at the beginning, but once the story gets going after it first sets itself up, I was completely fine. I also liked Frankie's relationship with some of the other characters such as Iktae and Ideth, even though at times I felt like he was a little bit of a spoilt brat trying to get his own way. These two characters seemed to ground him a little bit. I'm glad of the fate of one of the characters on Earth. His unfortunate demise really broke my heart and I was glad for him to make something of himself. This is a useful way of showing to the young reader that sometimes the justice system is wrong and we really need to wake up and see how we can change it for the better.

In the end, I have decided to give the book a three star.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

It is back to Amanda Hocking this week, with her new book that I have recently been talking about, when reviewing her other series, the Trylle Trilogy. Although, this book is now in a new series, but set in the same universe. It is called the Kanin Chronicles... I must admit, when actually owning the book, the cover is very enchanting and beautiful. How for instance, the main character and protagonist, Bryn Aven, is at the centre of attention, with her coat covered in red. Whereas in the background, it is very muted colours, with the whites and blacks, but also having a sort of wonderland type of presence. Red to me also makes me feel quite uncomfortable and moreover is a colour for danger. So, onto the criticisms then! First of all, I don't know why but I felt a little bit out of place with this new world. Maybe it is because I read the other series in the same universe, I may have gotten used to them far too much. So when there are old characters appearing and being ment

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

This has been a long time in the making, but here it is. A court of Mist and Fury. I think that there is now the time to definitely say something about this, especially when the next book has already come out in the series. I genuinely do love this book. I think that it is much better than the first one in the series. This is mainly because of that in which the new characters are far more likeable, and those who we had been introduced to previously have been developed. For example, with Rhysand, I have found to be far more complicated than what had already been shown in the first book. In fact, I don't think that the first book did any justice for him. In any sort of perspective. However, it has also identified that Tamlin is not all that he seems, very annoying more than anything. I think however, that it is more due to the fact of that in which it feels like it was a waste to have a whole book with him in, now that the story has developed. In this next instalment, it carr

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

I know that this has been a review which has been a long time in the making. Especially when I received the books back in August last year. So I guess, that is quite a long time. But as some of you may already know, they all pack a punch as to how big they all are in pages! So, to put you all out of your misery, here is the long-awaited review for 'The Lost Symbol'. YAY! The main plotline is based around the organisation called the Freemasons, which throughout the years have had quite a bit of controversy. Not because they may have done something immoral, but rather that no one really knows what they actually do - except for Freemasons of course. People say that they are a secret organisation. But, that is completely and utterly incorrect. They are simply an organisation with secrets. Otherwise if they are a secret organisation, why do people know that Freemasonry actually exists, rather than a conspiracy? Anyway, onto the review I go!   The omniscient narrator had a m