Skip to main content

Unusual Confusion by Ada Almond

Hello everyone. On this occasion, we will be looking at a self-published debut novel which in my opinion, is so relevant to the present day.

Can we just start by having a look at this book cover? Isn't it glorious? The teenage me is quite jealous right now. If only I had this book back in the day, I would have never let go of it. It would have taken centre stage right on my bookshelf with pride. Then again, I've always been a sucker for a good book cover. But aren't we all?

So, where should I begin? Lets have a talk on the synopsis...

The story is focussed on one girl in particular, her name Lexi Miller and her trials as young girl who doesn't believe in herself. She has been suffering with some form of mental illness, which she calls Solitary and keeps this knowledge to herself. She is also coming to terms with her sexual orientation, while battling the problems with everyday life at school. This also deals with the profound effect of bullying and how this shapes us to become the people who we all grow up to be. As well as death and how we come to rely on people, when really we should realise that we all have the strength to rely on ourselves.

I found this book interesting. The writing style is like she is speaking to you, almost like you are intruding her diary and peeling back her feelings and the type of person that she really is inside which no one gets to see other than herself. I'm pleased in this regard as I can actually see myself when I was young and at school, where I possessed similar feelings of this kind.

The book length itself I believe to be perfect in regards to the age group. It's short, it's sweet, it gets to the point. Not many young people have a good attention span, especially with so many other distractions. So I think that it is a brilliant book to start with if you want your children to begin to read by themselves. It is also a good short read for anyone over the age range for a few hours if you want to pick up a book which is different. Personally I read this book in an hour.

I'm not going to lie, it was not the most perfect book, but this is only the beginning. However, I'm very intrigued as to what is next for Ada Almond and that is the exciting part of it all. The only way is up.

Even though there can be seen to be many teething problems in the book, I can say there are some moments which really seem to shine and would seem to present itself to a young age group as being profound to them individually. There is one quote for instance, that I still think about. Not only because it is one of the better pieces of writing throughout the book, but would also resonate with so many people in the same situation as Lexi.

'There are people who are homosexual, and people who are heterosexual, and bisexual, pansexual and all those sexual orientations, each of them unique and valid. There will be people who will say that you're weird, not normal. There will be people who will say you will die in hell and are full of sin. They won't accept you, and that's just how life works. But the trick is not to listen to those people.'

This also brings me on to another problem that I found within this book, relationships and character development. Because of the way that the book was written, you really get to understand what is in Lexi's head at the time and what she considers to be important. However, this also takes out what it would have meant to have more of a character arc for both Melodine, the girl she likes and her family. I really do feel like it was an opportunity missed here. I would have really liked to see all these characters take more of a centre stage within the book and have their own goals and how this would make them the characters that Lexi is shown to see. Otherwise, it can feel a little two-dimensional.

On the other hand, I must praise the ending. I have known many people suffering from the same mental illness which Lexi is informed to have and would have loved this when they first began suffering themselves. In fact, I know of plenty of people suffering from all sorts of mental illness where they have felt worthless and not wanting to bother anyone's time. So this ending is what I believe for many people suffering, not necessarily what Lexi is suffering from herself, but all across the board. I must admit I did shed a tear and that is not an easy feat!

So, after much deliberation, I think I am going to give this book a three star. This is because I felt like it has a good premise and message. However, there is some points that could be improved, which I am sure whatever happens next for Ada Almond will be an interesting one indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just the Two of Us (Book 1) by Ryu Hyang

  SYNOPSIS 'Soohyuk: a paediatric emergency medicine specialist. A man who never eats something someone else gives him.  Soohyuk, the tyrant who rules S University Hospital's paediatric emergency room. He only cares about treating sick children, whether or not that gets in the way of advancing his career. He, a grouch to everyone aside from the patients, suddenly starts noticing a woman: the woman who feeds him. Yuna: a chef who makes boxed lunches. A woman who panics and collapses whenever she meets a man, due to trauma from her past. Wanting to do what she likes rather than going off to college, Yuna opens up her own business that specialises in boxed lunches. A Tasty Meal. She gets scared when one day she sees the tall Soohyuk standing outside her restaurant, but she soon learns he is only drawn to the delicious smell. And, somehow, she comes to be in charge of his everyday meals. When Soohyuk meets Yuna, a confident, surefooted woman who gets startled and scared when he co...

An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth: Life Lessons From Space by Chris Hadfield

I usually hate non-fiction so very much. I tend to find it utterly boring as well as depressing. But with this book it is completely different. It stands on it's own two feet by being irregular and unique in my eyes. It's inspirational. He's a role model to anyone who has met him, read him or seen him on YouTube singing 'Space Oddity'.   Here is the YouTube that he recorded on the ISS of Space Oddity if you haven't already seen it. But seriously who hasn't? Anyway if you have seen it, why not see it again? It is really good. Anyway, the book itself, is a very good example with motivating people to aspire to what they really want to do. Rather than just simply dreaming of their dream, he is saying to put those words into actions and finally into reality. But not only that, if you don't exactly get to the place as to which you really want to strive to be, that's ok. It doesn't mean that you are a failure. No one is a true failure, unless you ...

The Snow Song by Sally Gardner

Synopsis : 'Women imprisoned by superstition, chained by guilt. Perched on a mountain in a land of ancient forests is a village, rife with secrets. Cut off from the outside world it is run by the elders, men to whom tradition is all. Edith lives alone with her alcoholic father who is forcing her to marry the village butcher. But she is in love with a shepherd who promised to return to her. As the village becomes isolated in a sea of snow, Edith loses her power of speech. And it is this enchantment that will have far-reaching consequences, not only for Edith but for the whole village.'

Frankie and the Gift of Fantasy by Ruthy Ballard

I have always been captivated by the thought that there could be something beyond this world, yet connected by our very own. 'Frankie and the Gift of Fantasy' is set in the age range of being a children's book which is meant to help children think, evaluate and learn, not only about what is beyond our own world, but what happens on Earth today.  Frankie can be considered somewhat of a dreamer like any normal kid with some amount of creativity should be. The only problem is that when he needs to be practical according to his parents, his mind is instead, is up in the clouds. But this is not necessarily a bad thing, not when he is transported through a crack in the wall to a place called 'Urth'. The writing can be seen as very colloquial, to the point that it feels as though not only are they omniscient of Frankie and the events that will take place, but it feels like they are reeling the events to only the reader. Almost like they are talking about the story in the s...

A Wedding in the Country by Katie Fforde

  SYNOPSIS Lizzie has just arrived in London, determined to make the best of her new life. Her mother may be keen that she should have a nice wedding in the country to a Suitable Man chosen by her. And Lizzie may be going to cookery school to help her become a Good Wife. But she definitely wants to have some fun first. It is 1963 and London is beginning to swing as Lizzie cuts her hair, buys a new dress with a fashionably short hemline, and moves in with two of her best friends, one of whom lives in a grand but rundown house in Belgravia which has plenty of room for a lodger. Soon Lizzie's life is so exciting that she has forgotten all about her mother's marriage plans for her. All she can think about is that the young man she is falling in love with appears to be engaged to someone else...