Skip to main content

Unusual Confusion by Ada Almond

Hello everyone. On this occasion, we will be looking at a self-published debut novel which in my opinion, is so relevant to the present day.

Can we just start by having a look at this book cover? Isn't it glorious? The teenage me is quite jealous right now. If only I had this book back in the day, I would have never let go of it. It would have taken centre stage right on my bookshelf with pride. Then again, I've always been a sucker for a good book cover. But aren't we all?

So, where should I begin? Lets have a talk on the synopsis...

The story is focussed on one girl in particular, her name Lexi Miller and her trials as young girl who doesn't believe in herself. She has been suffering with some form of mental illness, which she calls Solitary and keeps this knowledge to herself. She is also coming to terms with her sexual orientation, while battling the problems with everyday life at school. This also deals with the profound effect of bullying and how this shapes us to become the people who we all grow up to be. As well as death and how we come to rely on people, when really we should realise that we all have the strength to rely on ourselves.

I found this book interesting. The writing style is like she is speaking to you, almost like you are intruding her diary and peeling back her feelings and the type of person that she really is inside which no one gets to see other than herself. I'm pleased in this regard as I can actually see myself when I was young and at school, where I possessed similar feelings of this kind.

The book length itself I believe to be perfect in regards to the age group. It's short, it's sweet, it gets to the point. Not many young people have a good attention span, especially with so many other distractions. So I think that it is a brilliant book to start with if you want your children to begin to read by themselves. It is also a good short read for anyone over the age range for a few hours if you want to pick up a book which is different. Personally I read this book in an hour.

I'm not going to lie, it was not the most perfect book, but this is only the beginning. However, I'm very intrigued as to what is next for Ada Almond and that is the exciting part of it all. The only way is up.

Even though there can be seen to be many teething problems in the book, I can say there are some moments which really seem to shine and would seem to present itself to a young age group as being profound to them individually. There is one quote for instance, that I still think about. Not only because it is one of the better pieces of writing throughout the book, but would also resonate with so many people in the same situation as Lexi.

'There are people who are homosexual, and people who are heterosexual, and bisexual, pansexual and all those sexual orientations, each of them unique and valid. There will be people who will say that you're weird, not normal. There will be people who will say you will die in hell and are full of sin. They won't accept you, and that's just how life works. But the trick is not to listen to those people.'

This also brings me on to another problem that I found within this book, relationships and character development. Because of the way that the book was written, you really get to understand what is in Lexi's head at the time and what she considers to be important. However, this also takes out what it would have meant to have more of a character arc for both Melodine, the girl she likes and her family. I really do feel like it was an opportunity missed here. I would have really liked to see all these characters take more of a centre stage within the book and have their own goals and how this would make them the characters that Lexi is shown to see. Otherwise, it can feel a little two-dimensional.

On the other hand, I must praise the ending. I have known many people suffering from the same mental illness which Lexi is informed to have and would have loved this when they first began suffering themselves. In fact, I know of plenty of people suffering from all sorts of mental illness where they have felt worthless and not wanting to bother anyone's time. So this ending is what I believe for many people suffering, not necessarily what Lexi is suffering from herself, but all across the board. I must admit I did shed a tear and that is not an easy feat!

So, after much deliberation, I think I am going to give this book a three star. This is because I felt like it has a good premise and message. However, there is some points that could be improved, which I am sure whatever happens next for Ada Almond will be an interesting one indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

It is back to Amanda Hocking this week, with her new book that I have recently been talking about, when reviewing her other series, the Trylle Trilogy. Although, this book is now in a new series, but set in the same universe. It is called the Kanin Chronicles... I must admit, when actually owning the book, the cover is very enchanting and beautiful. How for instance, the main character and protagonist, Bryn Aven, is at the centre of attention, with her coat covered in red. Whereas in the background, it is very muted colours, with the whites and blacks, but also having a sort of wonderland type of presence. Red to me also makes me feel quite uncomfortable and moreover is a colour for danger. So, onto the criticisms then! First of all, I don't know why but I felt a little bit out of place with this new world. Maybe it is because I read the other series in the same universe, I may have gotten used to them far too much. So when there are old characters appearing and being ment

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

This has been a long time in the making, but here it is. A court of Mist and Fury. I think that there is now the time to definitely say something about this, especially when the next book has already come out in the series. I genuinely do love this book. I think that it is much better than the first one in the series. This is mainly because of that in which the new characters are far more likeable, and those who we had been introduced to previously have been developed. For example, with Rhysand, I have found to be far more complicated than what had already been shown in the first book. In fact, I don't think that the first book did any justice for him. In any sort of perspective. However, it has also identified that Tamlin is not all that he seems, very annoying more than anything. I think however, that it is more due to the fact of that in which it feels like it was a waste to have a whole book with him in, now that the story has developed. In this next instalment, it carr

Sunburn by Darren Dash

This is the cover of the recently published book "Sunburn" by Darren Dash (yes, it actually does feature a character getting burnt), which was published earlier than expected on the 1st May. This truly seems like a momentous event. This author has probably influenced my reading patterns the most, since I first picked up a book just for leisure. He is truly an inspirational guy. The cover itself is very sinister. The mix of reds and oranges as well as the sun connotes that the sun plays an antagonising role in the story. Maybe even a factor to all of the characters downfall. The simplicity makes it very intriguing as well as making it feel very uncomforting. Simple but well executed. This demonic masterpiece does not fail to disappoint even the most biggest of horror fans. Set in a perfect setting, the characters are strong, that even the smallest mistake they make can be very vexing. It focuses on three characters: Dominic; Curran and Martini. Who despite