Skip to main content

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn




It seems that at the moment, all the posts that I have done this year so far (even though there is not very many) have been out of character for this blog - especially from what has been presented from previous years. But I guess that it is nice for some sort of change. Sometimes the formula for a blog such as mine can get very boring and tedious. It kind of makes me wonder sometimes why I even decided to do such a thing in the first place.

Then I realise. Why do I have to keep to the same formula all of the time when it's my blog? I haven't been making much sense to myself, let alone my readers.

Ishmael is something very different to what I usually review on this blog. Why? Because this was actually something that I chose to read for a book review at university. I don't tend to like to re-review books for this blog, but I realised how different this book is compared to all of the others.

The main reason behind how it is so intriguing is due to the fact of that in which it focusses upon a certain gorilla. A talking gorilla. Not just talking about anything, but the idea of sustainability itself and how this would then have shown to have changed according to how humans have exploited the earth, even back to the roots of agriculture.

This book is important of the time due to the fact of that in which at the time there were many crucial events that must have taken place, to have such a decisive view of a vital character. The fact that the narrator did not give much for details of themselves, gives reason that the person reading the book is more like the person in the book themselves. This is due to how it shows how ignorant the reader is, before taking the journey that the book takes us on, to be able to finish at the destination where we are then in the position where we are able to decide as knowledgeable beings, to make better decisions in our lives, not just for ourselves, but others and the environment as well.

****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunburn by Darren Dash

This is the cover of the recently published book "Sunburn" by Darren Dash (yes, it actually does feature a character getting burnt), which was published earlier than expected on the 1st May. This truly seems like a momentous event. This author has probably influenced my reading patterns the most, since I first picked up a book just for leisure. He is truly an inspirational guy. The cover itself is very sinister. The mix of reds and oranges as well as the sun connotes that the sun plays an antagonising role in the story. Maybe even a factor to all of the characters downfall. The simplicity makes it very intriguing as well as making it feel very uncomforting. Simple but well executed. This demonic masterpiece does not fail to disappoint even the most biggest of horror fans. Set in a perfect setting, the characters are strong, that even the smallest mistake they make can be very vexing. It focuses on three characters: Dominic; Curran and Martini. Who despite

Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

It is back to Amanda Hocking this week, with her new book that I have recently been talking about, when reviewing her other series, the Trylle Trilogy. Although, this book is now in a new series, but set in the same universe. It is called the Kanin Chronicles... I must admit, when actually owning the book, the cover is very enchanting and beautiful. How for instance, the main character and protagonist, Bryn Aven, is at the centre of attention, with her coat covered in red. Whereas in the background, it is very muted colours, with the whites and blacks, but also having a sort of wonderland type of presence. Red to me also makes me feel quite uncomfortable and moreover is a colour for danger. So, onto the criticisms then! First of all, I don't know why but I felt a little bit out of place with this new world. Maybe it is because I read the other series in the same universe, I may have gotten used to them far too much. So when there are old characters appearing and being ment

June TBR

As it is the first of the month, I realised that I haven't actually given you any updates on the latest and greatest new books that I have recently bought. And trust me there is quite a few! I'll give you the Sun by Jandy Nelson:   I love the colour of the book jacket. When first discovering this treasure I was probably more interested in how all of the pages have been spray-painted in my favourite colour, yellow. But when looking at the blurb on the reverse, I became very intrigued. As by many people, I prefer a blurb that tells me quite a bit about what is the story, although, with this book it is very vague and is summed up in as few as two to three sentences. The mystery of what might happen is very exciting!     The Heir by Kiera Cass:                                                  This book I guess is very special to this blog. Not only is it the fourth chapter in the selection series, that from many fans, never thought they would be able to see