Skip to main content

Interview - Laura Vanderkam (The Cortlandt Boys)

I have had privilege to be able to ask questions to Laura Vanderkam, concerning her eBook, The Cortlandt Boys. Laura Vanderkam is more well-known as a nonfictional author of many books and her works have been included in many publications, on a national scale.

This was my interview with Laura - I hope you enjoy!

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

LV: In addition to my novel, I’m the author of several non-fiction books on time management including 168 Hours and What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast. I freelance for various publications including Fast Company and USA Today, and live outside Philadelphia with my husband and our four kids.

2. What is The Cortlandt Boys all about?

LV: The Cortlandt Boys is about a small town high school basketball team that wins the state championship with a last second 3-point shot. The story revisits the characters ten and twenty years later as the ramifications of that lucky break affect the boys and all the people around them, forever linking them to this little town that has its ways of not quite letting you go.

3. What inspired you to come up with the title?

LV: Even though the members of the basketball team age over the course of the book, in many ways, it’s their boyhood that shapes their lives, and so I wanted to reference that. As for the name of the town, Cortlandt, it’s not a real place, but had a slight allusion to “court” buried in there. I’d started using it, and liked it, and stuck with it.

4. How much research did you do?

LV: The part that required the most research was the basketball scenes. I played one season when I was 12 years old, and while I wasn’t any good at it, at least I had a general sense of the rhythm of games. I like to watch college and pro games, and I tried to capture some of that excitement.

5. How much of the book is realistic?

LV: I hope it’s realistic. I tried to capture what life is like in a small town. It’s familiar and comforting, yet suffocating at the same time.

6. Were you good at English when you were at school?

LV: Reasonably, though oddly enough, people seemed to think I was better at math back in the day. I enjoy math, but I enjoy writing more.

7. When did you decide to become a writer?

LV: I’ve always wanted to be a writer, and I’m very fortunate that this has turned into my day job. I can’t imagine doing anything else!

8. What is the hardest thing about writing?

LV: The most challenging thing about writing The Cortlandt Boys was making space for fiction, given that I’m already writing as my 9 to 5 job. I also wrote the manuscript for a non-fiction book in 2014 (called I Know How She Does It -- it comes out in June), and I wrote a host of other articles as well. So that was a lot of words. I had to push myself at the beginning to make time for fiction, but eventually, I got enough into my characters and story that I wanted to keep going.

9. What books have most influenced your life?

LV: My non-fiction books are mostly self-help books, and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People continues to set the standard in that genre. Its message of self-discipline influenced me a great deal, and hopefully comes through in my time management books.

10. Do you read much and if so who are your favourite authors?

LV: For fiction, I wind up re-reading Virginia Woolf’s books frequently. In non-fiction, I like John McPhee for high-brow stuff, and Gretchen Rubin for advice on daily living.

11. For your own reading, do you prefer ebooks or traditional paper/ hardback books?

LV: I love ebooks -- I published The Cortlandt Boys that way! -- but I probably prefer to hold a traditional book in my hand. That’s why my office is so cluttered with books!

12. What is your favourite quote?

LV: One of the busiest women I ever interviewed told me that instead of saying ‘I don’t have time’ she says ‘It’s not a priority.’ That’s really more accurate language, and very insightful. Life is a choice. Using this language reminds us that if we’re not happy with our choices, we have the power to choose differently.

13. Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

LV: One of my favorite young authors is Zac Bissonnette. He’s got a new book out this spring called The Great Beanie Baby Bubble, which is a darkly hilarious account of toy tycoon Ty Warner and the Beanie Baby collectors who bid up the prices tremendously. It all crashed around the turn of the millennium, and Bissonnette does a great write-up of the fall out.

14. Any tips for aspiring writers out there?

LV: Writing is a skill like any other, and you get better the more you do of it. One of the reasons I like blogging is that it’s a daily form of practice. Just as a musician plays scales, I blog.

15. How can readers discover more about you and your work?

LV: Please come visit me at my website, LauraVanderkam.com. I blog frequently and would love to continue the conversation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just the Two of Us (Book 1) by Ryu Hyang

  SYNOPSIS 'Soohyuk: a paediatric emergency medicine specialist. A man who never eats something someone else gives him.  Soohyuk, the tyrant who rules S University Hospital's paediatric emergency room. He only cares about treating sick children, whether or not that gets in the way of advancing his career. He, a grouch to everyone aside from the patients, suddenly starts noticing a woman: the woman who feeds him. Yuna: a chef who makes boxed lunches. A woman who panics and collapses whenever she meets a man, due to trauma from her past. Wanting to do what she likes rather than going off to college, Yuna opens up her own business that specialises in boxed lunches. A Tasty Meal. She gets scared when one day she sees the tall Soohyuk standing outside her restaurant, but she soon learns he is only drawn to the delicious smell. And, somehow, she comes to be in charge of his everyday meals. When Soohyuk meets Yuna, a confident, surefooted woman who gets startled and scared when he co...

An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth: Life Lessons From Space by Chris Hadfield

I usually hate non-fiction so very much. I tend to find it utterly boring as well as depressing. But with this book it is completely different. It stands on it's own two feet by being irregular and unique in my eyes. It's inspirational. He's a role model to anyone who has met him, read him or seen him on YouTube singing 'Space Oddity'.   Here is the YouTube that he recorded on the ISS of Space Oddity if you haven't already seen it. But seriously who hasn't? Anyway if you have seen it, why not see it again? It is really good. Anyway, the book itself, is a very good example with motivating people to aspire to what they really want to do. Rather than just simply dreaming of their dream, he is saying to put those words into actions and finally into reality. But not only that, if you don't exactly get to the place as to which you really want to strive to be, that's ok. It doesn't mean that you are a failure. No one is a true failure, unless you ...

Frankie and the Gift of Fantasy by Ruthy Ballard

I have always been captivated by the thought that there could be something beyond this world, yet connected by our very own. 'Frankie and the Gift of Fantasy' is set in the age range of being a children's book which is meant to help children think, evaluate and learn, not only about what is beyond our own world, but what happens on Earth today.  Frankie can be considered somewhat of a dreamer like any normal kid with some amount of creativity should be. The only problem is that when he needs to be practical according to his parents, his mind is instead, is up in the clouds. But this is not necessarily a bad thing, not when he is transported through a crack in the wall to a place called 'Urth'. The writing can be seen as very colloquial, to the point that it feels as though not only are they omniscient of Frankie and the events that will take place, but it feels like they are reeling the events to only the reader. Almost like they are talking about the story in the s...

The Snow Song by Sally Gardner

Synopsis : 'Women imprisoned by superstition, chained by guilt. Perched on a mountain in a land of ancient forests is a village, rife with secrets. Cut off from the outside world it is run by the elders, men to whom tradition is all. Edith lives alone with her alcoholic father who is forcing her to marry the village butcher. But she is in love with a shepherd who promised to return to her. As the village becomes isolated in a sea of snow, Edith loses her power of speech. And it is this enchantment that will have far-reaching consequences, not only for Edith but for the whole village.'

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

What can we truly know of the universe? Is the universe simply beyond our comprehension or are we just too ignorant to see what is actually in front of us? What if there is life beyond Earth? What if we can discover it for ourselves? What if, our curiosity gets the better of us all? This book seems to pose many questions to what knowledge we already possess yet, are we looking at life in the right way and how we come to use the environment of Earth around us. It takes us through the story of the human race and how we have expanded our skills and knowledge to become a race which is both rational and intelligent enough to discover the final frontier, space. But what comes after all of this? This is just as an important question as the one in which we ask of how we all got here in the first place. The great thing about this book is that I feel like if you read it before watching the film, you would probably have a better appreciation for Kubrick's vision. In fact, it could be believed...