Skip to main content

On The Chopping Block!

I know that I have already done Darren Shan, but this is one of the last books that I will be reading his works- except for the particular Zom-B novels that are still be published at this exact moment in time. The Zom-B novels will be the last review I will be doing of Darren Shan myself, unless I allow someone else to guest blog and do one of his other sagas. So the sooner that I get this all done the better I guess for you the reader. But just to be clear, I love this writer so much that I have read over 34 books of his- I think that I am obsessed!

Genre: Horror, Dystopian
Publisher: HarperCollins
Year Of Publish: 2010


This is my book of "The Thin Executioner" and is presented for those who don't mind a quest in an unfriendly environment, as well as some confusing names to remember!

It is said that in which through some of his interviews, that he prefers this work compared to his others that he wrote. Although, he may be different now, with the fact of how many new series he has published and drafts he may have in store for the future!

Well if i was to be straight and honest, this is definitely not my favourite book that he has written in my opinion. I found that it was deeply depressing, especially with how Jebel and Tel seemed to run into bad luck a lot over their travels. Although, I must admit, the ending seemed very honourable in how the character developed. Really, I thought that I wasn't going to be able read that far. It talked a lot about religion and how many bad people are in the world. Very ethical! Usually i love those types of texts!

As for the rating, i thought that it was around about 3 stars for me. I don't think i have been generous or harsh on this. But i probably raised the rating a little, as i may feel like any less would be a betrayal to my favourite author.

Well that is about it from my Birthday book pile; including The Demonata Series, The Thin Executioner and Shattered by Teri Terry. Next time i will be talking about my September TBR! So look out for that, i have some famous works that i haven't read which i will be able to tell you about.

 For the time being, have a good week and remember to read!

Kiki Hempell
XXX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just the Two of Us (Book 1) by Ryu Hyang

  SYNOPSIS 'Soohyuk: a paediatric emergency medicine specialist. A man who never eats something someone else gives him.  Soohyuk, the tyrant who rules S University Hospital's paediatric emergency room. He only cares about treating sick children, whether or not that gets in the way of advancing his career. He, a grouch to everyone aside from the patients, suddenly starts noticing a woman: the woman who feeds him. Yuna: a chef who makes boxed lunches. A woman who panics and collapses whenever she meets a man, due to trauma from her past. Wanting to do what she likes rather than going off to college, Yuna opens up her own business that specialises in boxed lunches. A Tasty Meal. She gets scared when one day she sees the tall Soohyuk standing outside her restaurant, but she soon learns he is only drawn to the delicious smell. And, somehow, she comes to be in charge of his everyday meals. When Soohyuk meets Yuna, a confident, surefooted woman who gets startled and scared when he co...

An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth: Life Lessons From Space by Chris Hadfield

I usually hate non-fiction so very much. I tend to find it utterly boring as well as depressing. But with this book it is completely different. It stands on it's own two feet by being irregular and unique in my eyes. It's inspirational. He's a role model to anyone who has met him, read him or seen him on YouTube singing 'Space Oddity'.   Here is the YouTube that he recorded on the ISS of Space Oddity if you haven't already seen it. But seriously who hasn't? Anyway if you have seen it, why not see it again? It is really good. Anyway, the book itself, is a very good example with motivating people to aspire to what they really want to do. Rather than just simply dreaming of their dream, he is saying to put those words into actions and finally into reality. But not only that, if you don't exactly get to the place as to which you really want to strive to be, that's ok. It doesn't mean that you are a failure. No one is a true failure, unless you ...

Archibald Lox and the Bridge Between Worlds by Darren Shan

It's been a while since Darren Shan has written a children's book. Focusing more on his adult audience these last few years it seemed like this was the avenue he would have stayed in. However, I'm glad he made the transition back. I can't believe how much I have missed him doing a children's book until now. Covid-19 is at least good for one thing. I get to start on a new series that I can't wait to read. This first book in the serial seems different from previous children's books that he has written in the past. Almost mysterious and part of a realm that is more metaphysical rather than anything. Yet still enchanting in a way that makes look at the world in a new-found way In some ways it kind of reminds me of Plato's cave in the sense that there is something more to reality than what most people let on. Something that can be seen to be incomprehensible to the person that has not experienced The Merge and will never understand the importance of it. Once ...

Blog Tour: The Ghost of Villa Winter by Isobel Blackthorn

  SYNOPSIS English psychic Clarissa Wilkinson is holidaying in the Canary Islands. Hoping to have an adventure, she boards a tour bus bound for Villa Winter, a secret Nazi base on the idyllic island of Fuerteventura. Instead, she discovers a body in a chest and finds herself teamed up with hapless crime writer Richard Parry. What unfolds is an edge of seat mystery brimming with intrigue, as they try to unravel the clues together, and find the killer. Setting rich with a colourful cast of characters, The Ghost of Villa Winter is a delightfully gripping read with plenty of twists and turns that will appeal to all good mystery lovers.

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

What can we truly know of the universe? Is the universe simply beyond our comprehension or are we just too ignorant to see what is actually in front of us? What if there is life beyond Earth? What if we can discover it for ourselves? What if, our curiosity gets the better of us all? This book seems to pose many questions to what knowledge we already possess yet, are we looking at life in the right way and how we come to use the environment of Earth around us. It takes us through the story of the human race and how we have expanded our skills and knowledge to become a race which is both rational and intelligent enough to discover the final frontier, space. But what comes after all of this? This is just as an important question as the one in which we ask of how we all got here in the first place. The great thing about this book is that I feel like if you read it before watching the film, you would probably have a better appreciation for Kubrick's vision. In fact, it could be believed...